Tree-huggers

Sun Jan 16 18:47:27 UTC 2005

I don't know how much stock I'd put in Adams' stress reduction techniques.

While held in Long Kesh in the 1970's, he decided the proper way to
decorate his cell was to smear his own excrement on the walls.

Sort of a stress enhancing move, I'd say.

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society on behalf of Jonathan Lighter
Sent: Sun 1/16/2005 11:25 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Tree-huggers

According to Sinn Fein president Gerry Adams, "Hugging trees has a calming effect on me....I'm talking about enormous trees that will be there when we are all dead and gone. I've hugged trees in every part of this little island....[A]ll I know is that it works."

In an interview with Radio Eireann's "RTE Guide" (as reported in the Daily Telegraph of July 5, 2001), Adams revealed that he has hugged trees in Tony Blair's garden, as well as at the White House when he met with President Clinton.