"Target" as a French word?

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Mon Jan 17 04:46:36 UTC 2005

I've heard "Target" pronounced as "Tar ZHAY" for the past couple of
years or so. Like Red Lobster, Target has ads on local TV, though
neither chain has a local outlet in this area. I assume that the
Frenchified pronunciation is just a joke, like referring to a
neighborhood beer bar as the "El God-Damn," thereby adding a touch of
ironic pseudo-class.

-Wilson Gray