"swap": inversion of meaning

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at UMR.EDU
Mon Jan 17 16:24:42 UTC 2005

This looks like a blend: "subsitute whole grains for refined ones" + "swap/switch refined grains for whole ones."

    In my article "Contributions To The Study of Blending" (_Etymology And Linguistic Principles_, vol. 1---by Gerald Leonard Cohen, 1988; self-published but very favorably reviewed---pp.81-94), I comment on semantic change as a result of blending (p.89):
    "As a result of blending, words are often thrust into a new environment which changes the meaning of those words." (Then: two examples; Jonathan Lighter's example below seems to be a third one, albeit not from the standard language.).

Gerald Cohen

Original message from Jonathan Lighter, January 17, 2005:

> This is much like the odd shift in the meaning of "substitute" commented upon some weeks ago:
>
> "New dietary guidelines coming out Wednesday are expected to place more emphasis on counting calories and exercising daily, along with swapping whole grains for refined ones and eating a lot more vegetables and fruits."  --  Gov't: Calories, Not Carbs, Make You Fat (AP)
> January 12, 2005
>
> http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH/WSIHW000/333/7228/411784.html
>
> This says to me (nonsensically) that if you're eating whole grains now, you should switch to refined ones.
>
> Thoughts?

                                        # # #