cannot: OED pronunciation again

Dennis R. Preston preston at MSU.EDU
Mon Jan 17 22:04:28 UTC 2005

Nope; I was just observing that the vowel would be raised even in the
dialects of nonraisers as a result of the following nasal (or appear
to be raised as a result of the influence of the nasal formant).

You are quite right however to observe that function words, including
modals, often show considerably less raising among raisers, but
whether that would extend to nonraisers, all of whose low vowels
would appear to be raised in nasal environments, is hard to say. If
the same distinction existed, however, it could be attributed to
stress.

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston
University Distinguished Professor of Linguistics
preston at msu.edu