"You cannot be serious" (McEnroe, 1996)

Tue Jan 18 03:44:51 UTC 2005

On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 21:25:22 -0500, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at YALE.EDU>
wrote:

>At 5:18 PM -0500 1/17/05, Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
>>New York  Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Dec 20, 1996. p.
B15 >>...
>>And if they still cannot agree, they will take their grievance to the
>>highest figure of authority in the entire Garden, the Hanging Judge
>>Herself:  Mary
>>Carillo, McEnroe's childhood friend and adult nemesis.
>>"I will tell John, 'You cannot be serious,'" Carillo said, emphasis on the
>>"cannot." She got his Queens inflections perfectly.
>
>Ah, but which half of the "cannot", inquiring minds want to know.
>(Presumably the latter half.)

Sure sounds that way from this audio clip:

http://simplythebest.net/sounds/other_formats/Sun_Audio/AU_files/miscellaneous_AU_files/mcenroe_on_the_line.au

>From this page:
http://simplythebest.net/sounds/other_formats/Sun_Audio/miscellaneous_au.html

--Ben Zimmer