broker than the 10 commandments

Jeff Prucher jprucher at YAHOO.COM
Wed Jan 19 22:48:52 UTC 2005

--- Wilson Gray <wilson.gray at RCN.COM> wrote:

> I just wanted a reason to mention that I
> appear to have outlived the expression, "close enough for government
> work." When I use it in speaking with toddlers in their 40's or
> thereabouts, they have no idea what the point of the expression is.

That's surprising to me.  When I was but a preemie in my 20's (I'm an infant in
my 30's now), I temped for the administrative office of the Judicial Council of
California for a year or so, and the phrase "good enough for government work"
was never far from my lips (but far enough that my supervisors didn't hear me
say it), and people seemed to know what I meant.

Jeff Prucher