Justice delayed is justice denied (1882); Pay peanuts and get monkeys (1968)

Sam Clements SClements at NEO.RR.COM
Thu Jan 20 05:55:29 UTC 2005

Perhaps from Milton.  In Making of America(U of Mich.) there is an 1866 book
called "Treasures from the prose writings of John Milton, 1608-1674.

p. 393

"Then was justice delayed, and soon after denied."

SC

----- Original Message -----
From: <Bapopik at AOL.COM>
To: <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2005 12:25 AM
Subject: Justice delayed is justice denied (1882); Pay peanuts and get
monkeys (1968)

> JUSTICE DELAYED IS JUSTICE DENIED
> Maybe Fred can look this up? On page 670, the Oxford Dictionary of
> Quotations has "late-20th century"?

> (PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
> _GLADSTONE'S  CAREER; Fifty Years of Public Life as a Statesman and
Political
> Leader. _

(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=0&did=102561757&SrchMode=1&sid=8&Fmt=1
0&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1106198072&clientId=65882)

> New York Times (1857-Current file). New York,  N.Y.: May 19, 1898. p. 7 (1
> page)
> "But, above all, if we be just men, we shall go forward in the name of
truth
> and right, bearing this in mind, that when the case is proved and the hour
> is come, justice delayed is justice denied."
> (NEWSPAPERARCHIVE)
>      _New Era _

(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=9qnHh8I+Pl6KID/6NLMW2iyydr2
TaKO5FGsi+Iubyj/YLWPMWea2nkIF+CsZYmrz)  Wednesday, June 04,
> 1890 _Humeston,_

(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:humeston+justice+de
layed+and+justice+denied+AND)  _Iowa_

(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:iowa+justice+delay
ed+and+justice+denied+AND)

(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=0Hv62RLHvjKKID/6NLMW2txpGaS
PLSh92M4cXMYzOcZZIVxqICXOJw==)  Friday, May 08, 1896
> _Coshocton,_

(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:coshocton+justice+d
elayed+and+justice+denied+AND)  _Ohio_

(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:ohio+justice+delay
ed+and+justice+denied+AND)
> ...Co. __ ____________  JUSTICE DELAYED is JUSTICE  DENIED. Eczema is a
> frightful.....about II. Ricard, tho minister of  JUSTICE. Some time ago ho
bought
> two..

> _North Adams Transcript _

(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=W0CtXEq/mhWKID/6NLMW2rDi9gc
698uaPNSygvV5UZXhortEDFjRn0IF+CsZYmrz)  Thursday,
> June 09, 1898 _North Adams,_

(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:north_adams+justice
+delayed+and+justice+denied+AND)  _Massachusetts_

(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:massachusetts+just
ice+del
> ayed+and+justice+denied+AND)
> ...the hoar is como  JUSTICE DELAYED is JUSTICE  DENIED. Yes, tho disease
of
> an.....AND Boiton, aUt>  tor.ew York, Albany, AND the W eat. Timetables
AND
> lurlher..

> _Cambridge Jeffersonian _

(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=WSgtrs8BeYeKID/6NLMW2vwO68F
74opK0VwgH0GtsDKEa1p7zZRV1UIF+CsZYmrz)  Thursday,

(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:cambridge+justice+d
elayed+and+justice+denied+AND)  _Ohio_

(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:ohio+justice+delay
ed+and+justice+d
> enied+AND)
> ...cannot brook delay  JUSTICE DELAYED is JUSTICE  DENIED He htiili
> rirfies.....magic. It in per- fectly Biifo in nil  AND pleaaant to tho
tnateL AND ia
> the..
> ...g

----
> PAY PEANUTS, GET MONKEYS
> The Oxford Dictionary of Quotations has this on page 623, without a
source.
> (NEWSPAPERARCHIVE)
>      _Post Crescent _

(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=Ga2xMtpV76yKID/6NLMW2vJ991p
K8TtNtsqQzTcvSySGmEXLbiHku0IF+CsZYmrz)  Sunday, January
> 05, 1969 _Appleton,_

(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:appleton+pay+peanut
s+and+monkeys)  _Wisconsin_

(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:wisconsin+pay+pean
uts+and+monkeys)

(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=Ga2xMtpV76yKID/6NLMW2nBPamM
wH9mnbkxsM8UVRftSSzADCEye80IF+CsZYmrz)  Sunday, January 05, 1969
> _Salisbury,_

(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:salisbury+pay+peanu
ts+and+monkeys)  _Maryland_

(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:maryland+pay+peanu
ts+and+monkeys)
> ...five applicants. Their  policy: you PAY PEANUTS, you get MONKEYS.
> Worcester.....This time, full sar AND Caspar. PEANUTS for  asthmatic chil
dren? it
> UK..

> _Frederick Post _

(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=ssVO2f5ZuruKID/6NLMW2ixoM9z
SKR1kF5h3RrkOyOQJerZEPB3jikIF+CsZYmrz)  Monday, January 16,

(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:frederick+pay+peanu
ts+and+monkeys)  _Maryland_

(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:maryland+pay+peanu
ts+and+monkeys)
> ...get good employees. He also  says, PAY PEANUTS AND you get MONKEYS.
Keith.
>  Ada.....sit for her. But your sister should PAY you an hour  AND she
should
> clean her..

> _Ironwood Daily Globe _

(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=e0sfgs8TnFyKID/6NLMW2k5Qn7h
XhBlxpG8+Qg8ArTFR8EGbLuKp0kIF+CsZYmrz)  Monday,
> December 30, 1968 _Ironwood,_

(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:ironwood+pay+peanut
s+and+monkeys)  _Michigan_

(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:michigan+pay+peanu
ts+and+monkeys)
> ...applicants. Their policy:  "If you PAY PEANUTS, you get MONKEYS."
Licenses