"Fish without bicycle"(1973); Gandhi's "eye for eye"(1982); Eyes/England(1943)

Thu Jan 20 06:58:07 UTC 2005

>"AN EYE FOR AN EYE MAKES THE WHOLE WORLD BLIND"
>Did Gandhi really say this? The movie Gandhi did.
>(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
>_Forgiving:  A Kind Of Freedom_
>(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=2&did=118637351&SrchMode=1&sid=18&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=110
>6201822&clientId=65882)
>Glenn Collins. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Dec 27,
>1982. p. B10 (1 page)
>Gandhi's message is unequivocal: "If everyone took an eye for an eye, the
>whole world would be blind."

Or was it Martin Luther King?

------
Washington Post, Sep 21, 1958, p. E6
[Review of _Stride Toward Freedom_ by Martin Luther King]
Violence by Negroes, he says, is impractical: "The old law of an eye for
an eye leaves everybody blind."
------
New York Times, Jul 7, 1959, p. 30
"Nonviolence is the most potent weapon available to people in the struggle
for human dignity," Dr. King said. "The old eye-for-an-eye philosophy ends
up leaving everybody blind."
------

King was a student of Gandhi, of course (this is mentioned in the 1958
review), but I don't know if he attributed the quote to him.

--Ben Zimmer