copacetic?

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Thu Jan 20 20:43:36 UTC 2005

FWIW -  not much, admittedly, since there's no documentation - I've
always had the feeling that "bullco(r)n" is a kind of euphemism for,
or, perhaps, merely a mishearing of, "bullcome," This latter sounds
like "bullkahm," just as "come," used in both its standard and its
obscene meanings, sounds like "kahm" to the untutored Northern ear.

Since both "bullshit" and the use of "con" as a verb are known to
everyday people, such a person, hearing fresh-off-the-bus Cudn Willih
say "Bullkahm!" in precisely those places in which "Bullshit!" would be
used, overcorrects it to "bullcon," which makes more sense than
"bullcalm" does. And r-insertion is nih 'bout as common as r-deletion.
My mother pronounces "George" as "Jawidge," just as ol' George Foreman
himself, likewise a native of Marshall, Texas, does. But she pronounces
"judge" as "jurge." I've even heard "much" pronounced as "murch" by
Marshallites: Do you know what Besame Mucho (title of a Top-40 song of
the '40's) mean? It mean "kiss me murch."

-Wilson Gray