unfortunate editorial choices

Fri Jan 21 03:29:18 UTC 2005

On Jan 20, 2005, at 9:08 AM, sagehen wrote:

>> from the 1/19/05 Palo Alto Daily News, p. 1 headline
>>   Prominent
>>   local hit by
>>   train, dies...
> ~~~~~~~~~~
> An old family friend, an historian at Stanford who lived in Menlo
> Park, met
> his death in just this manner, perhaps at the same level crossing, in
> 1953
> or 54.  I never heard a breath of suspicion that it was suicide.  He
> was
> totally deaf & the accident was attributed to that.

yes, we have these non-suicide deaths too, especially at grade
crossings with significant pedestrian traffic.  there are three of
these within walking distance (indeed, routes i often do walk) of my
house.

in some cases, there's just no way to tell what happened.

today's PADN is being more cautious about robert pringle's death, in
any case.

arnold