Query: women > wimming

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Fri Jan 21 23:37:31 UTC 2005

Most people pronounce "women" as though it's spelled "wimmin." My
mother pronounces "women" as though it's spelled "wimmun," with a
*very* clear schwa in the final syllable. She forms the plural of
"woman" by raising and fronting the [^] of the first syllable to [I]
while leaving the schwa of the final syllable unmodified. I find it
very annoying. But, what can you do, if it's your own mom?

-Wilson Gray