Idea/ideal

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Sat Jan 22 02:31:52 UTC 2005

On Jan 21, 2005, at 1:09 PM, FRITZ JUENGLING wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       FRITZ JUENGLING <juengling_fritz at SALKEIZ.K12.OR.US>
> Subject:      Re: Idea/ideal
> --------
>
> My wife says 'mongster' and can hardly say 'monster'--only with GREAT
> difficulty.  I don't understand why it' so difficult for her.
> Fritz

Back in the days before ibuprofen went generic and I saw the name
spelled out in ads, I pronounced "Motrin" as "Moltrin." And your lady
wife (I used to watch the Celtic Channel) has my sympathy. It's only by
thinking before speaking that I can make the distinction between
-im-/-in- and -em-/-en-. Otherwise, they fall together as -im-/-in-.

-Wilson