Tartufo (1955)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Jan 22 20:28:37 UTC 2005

Ah, I looked around the house here and found this book. The 1955 citation  in
English won't be too bad.
A COOK'S TOUR OF ROME:
THE BEST ROMAN FOOD AND WHERE TO FIND IT
by Doris Muscatine
New York: Charles Scribner's Sons
1964
Pg. 310 (TRE SCALINI):
His father began operating the restaurant here in 1932, joined later by his
sons. The current chef has been with the family for over a dozen years. His
specialties are two: cannelloni and bauletto )the stuffed veal recipe below).
The bar is famous for an ice cream confection that the Ciampinis invented,
according to Luigi, and you can have it for dessert in the restaurant. it is the
 gelato tartufo, rich chocolate ice cream with a surprise cherry in the
middle,  riddled generously with solid chocolate slivers, and topped off gloriously
with  a fluff of whipped cream. It is perhaps wise, if you plan to finish
with this,  to start with something like ham and melon instead of cannelloni.
(I love chocolate, but "tartfuo" is decadent even for   me!--ed.)