The stink/The stank

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Sun Jan 23 03:10:51 UTC 2005

On Jan 21, 2005, at 11:15 AM, Mullins, Bill wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       "Mullins, Bill" <Bill.Mullins at US.ARMY.MIL>
> Subject:      Re: The stink/The stank
> --------
>
> Is the verb really a different word than "stink", not just a different
> pronounciation?
> (I agree that the noun "stank" has a separate meaning from the noun
> "stink")

Whether there's any distinction in meaning between "stink" and "stank"
or not is dependent upon context, so that "stink" and "stank" don't
have separate meanings. There's no automatic distinction. At least,
there isn't in BE. Back in the '60's, hanging around the watercooIer, I
mentioned "stinkfinger;" while chatting with white, Asian, and Latino
colleagues (all male, needless to say). They didn't know what I was
talking about, till I explained. Of course, they actually did know what
I was talking about. They just weren't familiar with the term that I
had used. But, if I'd been talking to blacks, they would have
understood immediately, whether I'd said "stinkfinger" or
"stankfang-uh," just as easily as you would have understood Mellencamp,
whether he sang "Paint thuh muther pank" or "Paint the mother pink."

-Wilson Gray