"Butter and Egg Man"--from Muriel Hanford?

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Jan 23 07:51:00 UTC 2005

More butter-and-eggs. Maybe I'll look up Muriel Hanford's file in the  NYPL's
performing arts library.
YOU correct the Sunday New York Times FYI column.
(NEWSPAPERARCHIVE)
     _Hammond Times _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=9cbxNIiVHYuKID/6NLMW2ndGMeAapqD+PVDMpDxLZSM02LEj41a9ukIF+CsZYmrz)  Friday, February
28, 1936 _Hammond,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:hammond+guinan+and+butter+and+egg)  _Indiana_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:indiana+guinan+and+butter+and+egg)      ...50, who
originated the "big  BUTTER AND EGG man" phrase which the late  Tex.....Sioux
City transport magnate, her "BUTTER AND  EGG man." "I decided I wanted..

Pg. 4, col. 1:
_PEACOCK GIRL_
_OF BROADWAY_
_GETS DOMESTIC_
_Muriel Window Hanford, Who_
_Jarred Metropolises, Liv-_
_ing in Iowa_
[INTERNATIONA NEWS SERVICE}
ARNOLD PARK, Ia., Feb. 28.--Shades of Flo Ziegfeld and Tex Guinan--Muriel
Window Hanford has settled down!
Her whirlwind start and night club career which jarred and pleased Paris,
New York, Hollywood--even Siouz City, Ia.--has gone definitely domestic in the
more or less rustic scenes of this Iowa lake region.
(...)
To the community, she may become just Mrs. Howard G. Turnley, housewife and
home maker. That is her new husband's name, and he lives at Mankato, Minn.
To her old friends, it is certaiin she will remain Muriel Hanford, the  girl,
now 40 or 50, who originated the "big butter and egg man" phrase which the
late Tex Guinan popularized, and whose Siouz City night club bore the slogan,
"You Can't Beat Fun."
"Yes, we were married two years ago, in Old Mexico," she said when
questioned about Turnley. Her previous husbands were Emmet Keane, actor, and  Arthur
Hanford, Siouz City transport magnate, her "butter and egg man."
(ANCESTRY)
    Name:  Muriel  Turnley  SSN:  482-38-5403   Last Residence:  33062
Pompano Beach,  Broward, Florida, United States of America  Born:  16 Feb 1892
Died:  Aug 1965  State (Year) SSN  issued:  Iowa (1951-1952  )