"Butter and Egg Man"--from Muriel Hanford? (of "Muriel Cigar")

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Jan 23 08:23:54 UTC 2005

"Sioux" City. Sorry for typo...Also, who knew this about the Muriel  Cigar?
It's nowhere on the web...The FYI column begins with "Hell's Hundred  Acres."
That's on my web site.
_http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/23/nyregion/thecity/23fyi.html_
(http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/23/nyregion/thecity/23fyi.html)

Dairy and Fleece
Q. At the theater the other day, I overheard a reference to a "butter and egg
 man," which I gather means an out-of-town investor waiting to be fleeced.
But  why butter and eggs?
A. The phrase gave its name to a famous play, but that's not how it
originated. "The Butter and Egg Man," the great collaborator George S. Kaufman's  only
venture as a solo playwright, told a story about a naïve young man from  Ohio
who learns lessons about the realities of theater finance from some
sharpies. The sendup of Broadway hit Broadway in 1925, and was most recently  revived
Off Broadway in 2002.
But Kaufman didn't originate the term. That honor goes to Texas Guinan, the
brassy lady who ran a series of nightclubs in the Roaring Twenties that
brought  together flappers, society figures and gangsters when they weren't being
raided  by the police. Her most famous contribution to the American idiom was
her  greeting "Hello, sucker."
Her second-most-famous idiom came about this way, according to The Home Book
of American Quotations: A generous stranger at her club in 1924 announced he
was  picking up all the checks in the house, threw $50 bills to the female
entertainers, and, when asked his name, said only that he was in "the dairy
produce business." Miss Guinan responded by introducing him to the crowd as "the
big butter and egg man."
(NEWSPAPERARCHIVE.COM)
     _Holland Evening Sentinel _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=ssVO2f5ZuruKID/6NLMW2l/4j8Trxob5DUgctSR0XKdOM+OnbmZKZkIF+CsZYmrz)
Monday, August 30, 1965 _Holland,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:holland+peacock+girl+and+muriel)  _Michigan_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:michigan+peacock+girl+and+muriel)
...died i Sunday at the age of  74. The PEACOCK GIRL in the 1913
Ziegfield.....Will Rogers  AND Sir Harry Lauder. The MURIEL Cigar was named i in her
honor..

Pg.8, col. 7:
_Former Vaudeville_
_Star Dies at Age 74_
POMPANO BEACH, Fla. (UPI)--Mrs. Muriel Window Turnley, who introduced the
world to such songs as "'Til We Meet Again" and "I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles,"
died Sunday at the age of 74.
The Peacock Girl in the 1913 Ziegfield Follies SHow, she played opposite
such big names as Al Jolson, Will Rogers and Sir Harry Lauder.
The Muriel Cigar was named in her honor.