"exact(ual)ly" in Alice

sagehen sagehen at WESTELCOM.COM
Sun Jan 23 17:56:34 UTC 2005

My copy of Alice (New York; The Macmillan Company; 1922) has:
' "You nedn't say 'exactually,' " the Queen remarked. ' [p. 100]
The printing history on the verso of the title page suggests that this text
was taken from the "New edition September 1906."  The printing is credited
to the Norwood Press, Berwick & Smith Co, Norwood, Mass., but I think the
plates were probably those of the earlier Macmillan (London)  printing.
A. Murie
~~~~~~~~
>an exchange with a friend on the text of Alice...  anyone have any
>light to shed on "exactually"?
>
>Begin forwarded message:
>
>> From: Arnold M. Zwicky <zwicky at csli.stanford.edu>
>> Date: January 22, 2005 6:04:21 PM PST