"exact(ual)ly"

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at UMR.EDU
Sun Jan 23 19:15:14 UTC 2005

> ~~~~~~~~
> >an exchange with a friend on the text of Alice...  anyone have any
> >light to shed on "exactually"?

        Just an obvious comment; In "exactly"and  "actually" we see partial phonetic overlap ("act" and "-ly" in both). So "actually" was partially grafted onto "exactly", producing "exactually."

         In a similar vein (if I remember right), The Zippidy doo-dah song contains the line "Everything is satisfactual." Here too we see partial phonetic overlap ("ac" in "fac(t)" and "actual." So "actual" was grafted onto "satisfac-", perhaps merely as poetic licence, with the loss of the -"tory" ("satisfactory").
        Again, this is valid only if my memory is correct.

        Gerald Cohen