"jass" < c. 1900 in today's NYT--(anachronism)

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at UMR.EDU
Mon Jan 24 02:07:08 UTC 2005

I second Barry's rejection of this "jass" as an anachronism. There's no evidence--none, zero, zip, nada--of the term "jass" or "jazz" attested for the New Orleans music being played ca. 1900. At that time the music was simply played; the name came over a decade later and is first attested in California baseball, not New Orleans music.

Gerald Cohen

<snip>