God in the deatils (1960); No names, no pack-drill (1930)

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Tue Jan 25 19:56:13 UTC 2005

On Jan 25, 2005, at 2:31 PM, Jonathan Lighter wrote:

> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: God in the deatils (1960); No names, no pack-drill
> (1930)
> --------
>
> The version with "devil" is so common that the "God" version becomes
> much more fascinating.
>
> JL

But what does it mean? I've always assumed that the "devil" version
means something like, "a good opening sentence, in and of itself, does
not the Great American Novel make." I.e., bringing an idea to fruition
is no easy task.

-Wilson