"fly" = "hip" (or, if you prefer, "hep") -- a retraction

Tue Jan 25 21:33:07 UTC 2005

Jon Lighter asked me whether I was sure that the 1749 passage given
below read "fly" and not "sly" (with a long s).  This is a trap I am
wary of, but this time I got caught.  On re-examination, the first
letter looks like an "f", but the horizontal stroke pretty clearly is
no the left side of the rising stroke; it isn't a cross-stroke.  So it
is a long s, and the word is "sly".  Sorry about that.  These 18th C.
chaps must have had pretty sharp eyes.

In addition: the passage came from the sort of political slanging that
ordinarily I don't look at, but somehow the supposed "fly" caught my
eye.  I skimmed the essay to see whether there was any other slang
words in it, and all the rest was in the chastest vocabulary you could
wish for, so that "fly" would have been incongruous, which should have
occurred to me at the time.

GAT

George A. Thompson
Univ. Pr., 1998, but nothing much lately.