"Glass bottle" (vb)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Jan 26 13:40:34 UTC 2005

Thanks, Jon.

JL

Jonathon Green <slang at ABECEDARY.NET> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Jonathon Green
Subject: Re: "Glass bottle" (vb)

Dave Hause wrote:

---------------------- Information from the mail header
-----------------------
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Dave Hause
--------

With absolutely no literary citation, but an ex-cop's memory, I would
suggest that "glass bottle" as a verb refers not to using it as a club
but
to smashing it in the middle of the dilated part, using the neck as the
handle, and using the broken end as a cutting or slashing weapon.
Dave Hause, dwhause at jobe.net
Ft. Leonard Wood, MO

I missed some of this thread -  notably its inception, so my apologies
if this has already been put forward - but Dave Hause's suggestion fits
with the UK use of the slang verb glass, a term which has been
around since at least the 1930s and means to slash someone's face by
hitting them there with a broken beer glass or bottle. It is,
unsurprisingly, a popular means of violence within public houses. With
respect to JL, glass bottle has yet to appear in any collection
of rhyming slang I have encountered. Indeed I can't trace any term that
means to throttle. Given the mutability of the rhyming slang lexis,
this of course doesn't guarantee that it isn't out there somewhere.

Jonathon Green