"What have you done for me lately?" (1944); Movie (1915); "Beat 'em in alley"

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Jan 27 06:38:59 UTC 2005

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE FOR ME LATELY?
It's earlier here in the Barkley story in 1944, but I think the 1946 joke  by
Lou Holtz (told for years?) is the source of this. Don't know what Fred has
lately.
(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS_
_Barkley's  Favorite Story Is Being Used Against Him_
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=0&did=217835252&SrchMode=1&sid=1&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT
=309&VName=HNP&TS=1106805327&clientId=65882)
By DREW  PEARSON. The Washington Post (1877-1954).  Washington, D.C.: Mar 5,
1944. p. B5 (1 page)
"Then why is it," asked Barkley, "that you're going to vote against me  now?"
..
The veteran pondered a minute, then replied: "But what have you done for me
lately?"
_WHAT  MAKES YOU LAUGH?_
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=1&did=415595711&SrchMode=1&sid=1&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1106805327&
clientId=65882)
Maurice Zolotow. Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File). Los Angeles, Calif.:
Dec 8, 1946. p. E4 (3 pages)
First page:
"HINKEL," he cries, "why did you keep stalling me off like this> Why did  you
make me wait outside four fays? Aren't we old friends? Didn't I save your
life at Chateau-Thierry in 1918? Didn't I?
"Sure," remarks Hinkel casually.
"And after the war, didn't I give you your first job? And when you wanted  to
go into business for yourself, who loaned you the money? Who introduced you
to the girl who is now your wife? And during the depression when you were
nearly  in bakruptcy, who came to your rescue and staked you? I did, didn't I?"
Hinkel listens thoughtfully, and then he inquires, "Yes, Schartz--but what
have you done for me _lately_?"
Holtz sighed as he finished the story. He sucked on his cigar. "It's a  funny
story, isn't it?" he said. "I've told it in every theater I played in the
last couple of years. Nobody laughs. Nobody laughs at it in New York. Nobody
laughs at it in California. It's the funniest story I ever heard but nobofy
laughs at it. Maybe the audience is waiting to find out what Schwartz _did_ do
for Hinkel lately?"
"IF YOU CAN BEAT 'EM IN THE ALLEY"
Fortunately, Conn Smythe wrote an autobiography, with Scott Young. It was
titled with the catchphrase: IF YOU CAN BEAT 'EM IN THE ALLEY (Toronto:
McClelland and Stewart, 1981).
Does the New York Public Library have it? Of course not! I'm not going to
inter-library loan it--that will take five years. Fred Shapiro or Gerald Cohen
can do that, or it will have to wait for my next Library of Congress trip.
(PAGES OF THE PAST)
1 March 1958, Toronto Star, pg. 29:
He might even have been raised in this tradition that i you can't lick 'em
in the alley you're a dead pigeon on ice, and Solly looks tough enough to take
care of himself.
"MOVIE" IN PHOTOPLAY
No source is cited for the word in this long article of editors'  opinions.
April 1915, PHOTOPLAY, pg. 129:
_The Question Is Now Settled_
_THE WORD IS ELECTED BY_
_THE NATION'S EDITORS, TO_
_A PLACE IN THE DICTIONARY_
_MOVIE_
YES: 511.
NO: 222.
MOVIE WINS!!
Five weeks ago PHOTOPLAY MAGAZINE sent a question to one thousand editors
throughout the United States. Answers were received from 733 of these.
Here was the query: "Do you consider the word 'movie,' as applied to a
moving picture theatre of film, a good word, and do you approve of its use in  your
newspaper?"
Care was taken to reach every sort of community that patronizes pictures in
America. PHOTOPLAY MAGAZINE's ballot scattered down through Arizona, New
Mexico  and the orange-lands of California; up the North Coast into the land of the
 apple and wheat; through the cotton states; over the great Middle West; into
the  sanctums of Eastern intellectuals; up into Maine and New Hampshire; into
 Pennsylvania's coal and iron; over the rolling hills of Virginia and the
chivalrous South.
There was rousing enthusiasm for "movie;" rumblings, denunciations,  thunders
and growls against it.
The consensus of opinion, as given above, makes for its use.
The majority vote in its favor is not sectional; if it were it might well  be
doubted. (...)