"See You Later"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Jan 27 15:31:15 UTC 2005

At 2:44 PM +0000 1/27/05, Jonathon Green wrote:
>Jonathan Lighter wrote:

>>-----------------------
>>Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>>Poster:       Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM>
>>Subject:      Re: "See You Later"
>>
>>Jon, Why the hell not?  We are the custodians of language.
>>
>>P.S.: If anybody besides Jon, Jesse, Grant, & Erin ever used this
>>term, let us know.
>>

>I ought to throw this in, then:
>
>2004 Tim Dorsey _Cadillac Beach_ 189: 'How'd you hear?' 'Jawed with him
>on the Ameche.'
>
>That said, it occurs in a page of conscious archaisms - Dorsey has a
>deranged modern cop pretending to be his 40s equivalent - nonetheless...
>
>JG

Googling "the Ameche" brings up 195 hits, and judging from a quick
look-see, many of these have the intended telephonic referent, even
after you eliminate references to "the Ameche ballroom", "the Ameche
story", and for all I know, if you look through all the hits, "the
Ameche 1-yard touchdown run to defeat the Giants in 1958".

larry