Channumas

James A. Landau JJJRLandau at AOL.COM
Thu Jan 27 17:04:10 UTC 2005

>From the minutes of the December 15, 1978 meeting of the Washington [DC] Science Fiction Association, posted on-line at
http://www.wsfa.org/journal/j79/1/

"The seasonal shrub, in honor of Channimas, was decorated with fannish trinkets, around its feet were piled the books we voted ourselves, in sentimental profusion: there would be egg nog."

"Channimas" apparently is a misspelling of "Channumas".  I don't recall anything about Channumas (in any spelling), even though the same minutes claim I was present at the meeting.  It was a long-standing tradition in WSFA to have a "pagan tree trimming" in December, but I don't recall anyone in WSFA referring to the occasion as "Channumas".

A Google search turns up a little less than 2,000 hits on various spellings of "Channumas".

    - Jim Landau