For Better or for Worse

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jan 27 18:15:57 UTC 2005

I am shocked and offended by made-up, meaningless language palmed off on us and our young children as having a recognizable and recoverable meaning.  Reading the "funny papers" used to be a warm, family activity at our house, but "For Better or for Worse" has ended that forever.

We without humor are Americans too!

My righteous message to the appropriate governmental guardian agencies has been sent.

JL

"Mark A. Mandel" <mamandel at LDC.UPENN.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: "Mark A. Mandel"
Subject: Re: For Better or for Worse

I forwarded Benjamin Zimmer's post to my wife. She comments:

Good for her! Media censors are so crazy these days that the only way to
talk about anything may be to make it up. If a censor challenged this, she
could double dare him: "Okay, if you think I'm using vulgar language, what
does it mean?"

<<<<<

-- Mark
[This text prepared with Dragon NaturallySpeaking.]