"Not just happen, but made to happen" (FDR?)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Jan 28 08:03:52 UTC 2005

>From Google Answers. FDR pre-WWI sounds bogus.
(GOOGLE ANSWERS)
_http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=464460_
(http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=464460)
    Subject: Quotation
Category: _Reference,  Education and News _
(http://answers.google.com/answers/browse?catid=1500)
Asked by: pakorrwk-ga
List Price:  $2.50  Posted: 27 Jan 2005 14:28 PST
Expires: 26 Feb 2005 14:28 PST
Question ID: 464460
Looking for the original author of the quotation "Things do not merely

happen, they are made to happen."  It has been attributed to John F.

Kennedy but I wrote it down in my diary in the early 1940s so I think

it was either Thoreau or Franklin Roosevelt.  Thank you for your help.

    Subject: Re: Quotation
From:  _pinkfreud-ga_
(http://answers.google.com/answers/ratings?user=8557989531679117785)   on 27 Jan 2005 14:54 PST
Here a similar quote is attributed to Franklin Delano Roosevelt:

"To those who believe that a chaotic world is a more plausible

explanation for wierd [sic] happenings, I can only point to the

following remark by F.D.R. before the first world war: 'Things in

politics do not just happen; they are made to happen...I will be

Secretary of the Navy, governor of New York, and president, in that

order'.

And he was."

_http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.sys.amiga.misc/msg/39533ca88e86b980?
dmode=source_
(http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.sys.amiga.misc/msg/39533ca88e86b980?dmode=source)

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
_de  Returns as a Prodigal. Virtues in a Rose Pink Romantic Comedy. _
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=0&did=408221831&SrchMode=1&sid=3&Fmt=10&VInst=PR
OD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=1106898631&clientId=65882)
Burns Mantle. Chicago Daily Tribune  (1872-1963). Chicago, Ill.: Oct 25,
1908. p. H1 (1 page)
It has the common fault of similar plays of never suggesting reality in its
emotions or its scenes. Things happen because they are made to happen.
_Behind  The Line With DICK HYLAND_
(http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?index=2&did=409112721&SrchMode=1&sid=5&Fmt=10&VInst=PROD&VType=PQD&RQT=309&VName=HNP&TS=
1106898817&clientId=65882)
Los Angeles Times  (1886-Current File). Los Angeles, Calif.: Mar 25, 1940. p.
10 (1 page)
In short, on a football field there is no such thing as coincidence, happy
or otherwise. Things do not "just happen," they are MADE to happen, one team
does a job of patsying the other gents.
(NEWSPAPERARCHIVE)
     _Daily Northwestern _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=thiGuD36VKiKID/6NLMW2vzHp//zVGGJ+IXTt4mYTlc3QLE6cFF6Yw==)  Tuesday, February
04, 1913 _Oshkosh,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:oshkosh+do+not+just+happen+AND)  _Wisconsin_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:wisconsin+do+not+just+happen+AND)
...Blue Tag Price. V Things  DO NOT "JUST HAPPEN But are the result of
the.....confined to his bed at his farm-house JUST south of the  city, on the DOty..

_Coshocton Tribune _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=Rvj45z7SpqiKID/6NLMW2onVueaCXTVdWG87BOSLSVbHiBf35r4+zA==)  Monday, December 15, 1919
_Coshocton,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:coshocton+do+not+just+happen+AND)  _Ohio_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:ohio+do+not+just+happen+AND)      ...Things Are Brought About.
They DO NOT JUST HAPPEN. This Applies To  Accumu.....comment from the
depositors that it is JUST like finding  that much JUST  since..