just too small

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jan 28 16:36:39 UTC 2005

As I've heard it, undoubtedly in a western, "This town ain't big enough for the both of us!"

JL

George Thompson <george.thompson at NYU.EDU> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: George Thompson
Subject: just too small

Here is a familiar expression that I don't see in HDAS or in Whiting &
Taylor's collection of American proverbs.

New York city at that time wasn't big enough to hold Josie Mansfield,
Jim Fisk and Stokes all at once.
Samuel A. Mackeever, Glimpses of Gotham and City Characters, N. Y.:
National Police Gazette, 1880, p. 18, col. 2 [Jim Fisk, the rascally
financier; Edward Stokes wound up shooting him.]

GAT

George A. Thompson
Univ. Pr., 1998, but nothing much lately.