Low Back Vowel Query

Matthew Gordon gordonmj at MISSOURI.EDU
Fri Jan 28 17:11:02 UTC 2005

I have some evidence that suggests the opposite of what you're finding.

In written responses to a minimal pair test for the low back vowel merger in
Missouri, there are generally small differences in the reactions to the
pairs Don/Dawn and cot/caught. People who have the merger tend to have it in
both environments. One exception is in the southeast part of the state, the
area of strongest Southern influence historically. Here the merger appears
to be much more common prenasally (i.e. in Don/Dawn) than before /t/ (i.e.
cot/caught).

I too would be interested to hear about any work on the conditioning effects
of the upglided open o vowel.