Daniel Cassidy's Irish etymologies

Fri Jan 28 22:53:59 UTC 2005

Gerald Cohen writes:

   FWIW,  Daniel Cassidy's Irish etymologizing no doubt contains many "false
positives." But I'll say this for his efforts: If there are in fact any
words currently regarded as being of unknown origin but in fact deriving
from Irish, Cassidy will likely find them.  At that point I'll very
willingly overlook all the suggestions which didn't pan out and rejoice at
the few which did. "Kibosh" may be one such item (let's wait and see), and
perhaps his suggestion on the card game faro deserves further consideration
too.
 <<<<<

I'll admit that. Now, who is willing to plow through it all to sift the gold
from the dross?

-- Mark A. Mandel
[This text prepared with Dragon NaturallySpeaking.]