{ronunciation of slender D in irish

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Jan 29 22:51:38 UTC 2005

Can the well attested 19th C. "jasm" = "energy" be accounted for as part of this cluster?  It is also logically possible that the adj. "jazzy" came first, if I read the Irish "teasai" correctly. Do I ?

JL

Daniel Cassidy <DanCas1 at AOL.COM> wrote:
Sender: American Dialect Society
Poster: Daniel Cassidy
Subject: {ronunciation of slender D in irish

Thanks so much for the feedback. It is very helpful. Here is the main rule
taught in Irish language classes in Ireland and USA on the slender T. The
rule of Tir.

The Irish pronunciation rule of the slender T
Or the rule of Tir.

Tir, land country can be pronounced correctly

Cheer
Tear
Jeer.

Every native speaker would understand no matter which I said. Posted by
Padraig - a native speaker -- on Daltai Irish language discussion group Jan 28,
2005.

I am not a native speaker. Though my grandparents were native speakers of
Donegal dialect who emigrated to Greenpoint, Brooklyn.. They pronounced Tir
Jeer. And Teas Jass.

Thanks so much. Go raibh maith agat.

Teas, pron. jass or chass or t'ass.

Dan Cassidy