Pudden Tame (1904)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Jan 31 02:45:03 UTC 2005

More "Pudden Tame." Don't ask.

(GOOGLE)
http://landofmagic.co.uk/text_files/Whats%20Your%20Name.txt
What's your name?
Pudden Tame.
What's your other?
Bread and Butter.
Where do you live?
In a sieve.
What's your number?
Cucumber.

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
THE NEW NEIGHBORS.; JIM MAKES HIS DEBUT AND CREATES A SENSATION.
MAUDE BAYLISS MOSHER. Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File). Los Angeles, Calif.: Nov 27, 1904. p. F5 (1 page):
"There's a bricktop, again," sang out the teasing voice. "What's your name?"

"Pudden Tame! Ask me again, and I'll tell you the same!" shouted Priscilla, goaded to anger.

In the Wake of the News; DO YOU REMEMBER WAY BACK WHEN:
Chicago Daily Tribune (1872-1963). Chicago, Ill.: Apr 21, 1930. p. 28 (1 page):
We kids were asked our name by the new kid in the neighborhood, we replied, "Puddin' Tame, ask me again and I'll tell you the same"!--C. V. C.

WHAT THEY SAY IN NEW ENGLAND
AND OTHER AMERICAN FOLKLORE
collected by Clifton Johnson
edited with an introduction by Carl Withers
New York: Columbia University Press
1963

Pg. 118: RHYMES AND JINGLES
Question: What's your name?
Answer: Pudden tame;
        Ask me again
        And I'll tell you the same.

Some of the boys give a much ruder answer to this question in these words:

         John Brown,
         Ask me again and I'll knock you down.

Second form:

Question: What's your name?
Answer: Pudden tame.
Question: What's your natur'?
Pg. 119:
Answer: Pudden tater.
Question: What's your will?
Answer: Pudden swill.

Third form:

Question: What's your name?
Answer: Pudden tame.
Question: What's your other?
Answer: Bread and butter.
Question: Where do you live?
Answer: In a sieve.
Question: What's your number?
Answer: Cucumber.

(AMERICAN PERIODICAL SERIES ONLINE)
IN THE ARENA
BY EDWIN L. SABIN. Century Illustrated Magazine (1881-1906). New York: May 1904. Vol. VOL. LXVIII, Iss. No. 1; p. 76 (6 pages)
Fifth page, page 80:
"Say--What's your name?" you inquired, as you had every right to do.

"Puddin' tame; ask me again, an' I'll tell you the same," he replied insolently.