Whisky dry, Heaven die (1875)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Jan 31 08:21:57 UTC 2005

WHISKEY WHEN I'M DRY--303 Google hits, 27 Google Groups hits
WHISKY WHEN I'M DRY--15 Google hits, 3 Google Groups hits
I searched for "Whisk(e)y when I'm dry." The last verse of "Heaven when I
die" is too common, and the other verses change too much.
(NEWSPAPERARCHIVE)
     _Chronicle Telegram _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=9OTicI1+LyyKID/6NLMW2rZD+Ozvm9zBpFEr7LzuxiLHiBf35r4+zA==)  Sunday, December 31,
1989 _Elyria,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:elyria+whisky+when+I)  _Ohio_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:ohio+whisky+when+I)
...toast: "Beefsteak  WHEN I'M hungry; rye WHISKY WHEN I'M  DRY; greenbacks
WHEN I'M.....WHEN you swear,  swear by your country; WHEN you lie, lie for a
pretty  woman..

_Hornellsville Tribune _
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Viewer.aspx?img=ONKPmHWqWNiKID/6NLMW2rW6FhYaJ5pn/1t5Jt0KJKb4/ogBf4WUUg==)  Friday, February 05,
1875 _Hornellsville,_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=city:hornellsville+whisky+when+I)  _New York_
(http://www.newspaperarchive.com/Search.aspx?Search=state:new_york+whisky+when+I)      ...Dnluth: ''Beefsteak  WHEN
I'M huugryt WHISKY WHEN I'M  DRY. Greenbacks WHEN I'M.....to a fountain
wliieb has  lorg ago run DRY. WHEN liuman hearts aro  seeking..
Pg. 2, col. 6:
The following is said to be a popular song in Duluth: "Beefsteak when I'm
hungry, Whisky when I'm dry, Greenbacks when I'm hard-up, And Heaven when I
die."
(GOOGLE)
_http://www.bluesaccess.com/No_35/again.html_
(http://www.bluesaccess.com/No_35/again.html)
Shortcuts: I hadn’t heard much of James "Son" Thomas before the release of
Beefsteak Blues" (Evidence 26095), sessions originally recorded between  1980
and 1985. He’s got a gentle voice that sometimes rises to a sweet falsetto.
The thing I like best about this pleasant journeyman is his self-penned epitaph:
 "Give me beefsteak when I’m hungry/Whiskey when I’m dry/Pretty women when I’
m  living/Heaven when I die." …
_"Rye  Whisky" Traditional American Folksong 1. I'll eat when I'm  ..._
(http://www.pdmusic.org/folk/Rye_Whisky.txt)
... (CHORUS) 13. Seet milk when  I'm hungry, Rye whisky when I'm dry, If  a
tree don't fall on me, I'll live till I die. (CHORUS) 14. ...
www.pdmusic.org/folk/Rye_Whisky.txt - 4k - _Cached_
(http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:TNO3rvVwYr4J:www.pdmusic.org/folk/Rye_Whisky.txt+"whisky+when+I'm+
dry"&hl=en&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:www.pdmusic.org/folk/Rye_Whisky.txt)

_Corn Bread When I'm Hungry - 98.11_
(http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/98nov/banjo.htm)
... Dock Boggs, an Appalachian banjo player and singer born in  1898: "Give
me corn bread
when I'm hungry, good people,/Corn whiskey  when I'm dry,/Pretty women a ...
www.theatlantic.com/issues/98nov/banjo.htm - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:www.theatlantic.com/issues/98nov/ban
jo.htm)
_Rye Whiskey (2)_
(http://sniff.numachi.com/~rickheit/dtrad/pages/tiRYEWHISx.html)
... It's  beefsteak when I'm hungry, Rye Whiskey when I'm  dry Greenbacks
when I'm hard
up and religion when I die Rye whiskey,  rye whiskey, rye whiskey I cry, If I
sniff.numachi.com/~rickheit/dtrad/pages/tiRYEWHISx.html - 3k - _Cached_
(http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:gVsiuxdU2NsJ:sniff.numachi.com/~rickheit/dtrad
/pages/tiRYEWHISx.html+"whiskey+when+I'm+dry"&hl=en&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar
pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:sniff.numachi.com/~rickheit/dtrad/pages/tiRYEWHISx.html)
_Lyrics- Moonshiner_ (http://www.dubba.com/hookah/lyrics/moonshiner.htm)
... They're  all just as sweet as the dew on the vine. Well it's rye bread
when I'm  hungry.
Rye whiskey when I'm dry. Give  greenbacks when I'm hard up. ...
www.dubba.com/hookah/lyrics/moonshiner.htm - 7k - _Cached_
(http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:I88segWvnXgJ:www.dubba.com/hookah/lyrics/moonshiner.htm+"wh
iskey+when+I'm+dry"&hl=en&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:www.dubba.com/hookah/lyrics/moonshiner.htm
)
_Tex Ritter - Rye Whiskey_
(http://www.twin-music.com/azlyrics/r_file/tex/rye.html)
...  It's a whiskey, rye whiskey, rye whiskey I cry If I don't get rye
whiskey,  well,
I think I will die Sweet milk when I'm hungry, rye whiskey  when I'm dry If a
www.twin-music.com/azlyrics/r_file/tex/rye.html - 4k - _Cached_
(http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:L5oZLJ3CEN8J:www.twin-music.com/azlyrics/r_file/tex/ry
e.html+"whiskey+when+I'm+dry"&hl=en&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:www.twin-music.com/azlyrics/r_fi
le/tex/rye.html)
_Going to Georgia - Family Tradition Lyrics  Database_
(http://www.playingbyear.com/resources/Lyrics.aspx?song=Going+to+Georgia)
... my life a way. Beef when I'm  hungry, whiskey when I'm dry, Cornbread
when
I'm hard up, sweet heaven when I die. Going down to Georgia ...
www.playingbyear.com/resources/  Lyrics.aspx?song=Going+to+Georgia - 6k -
_Cached_
(http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:NZYiIt4oKdcJ:www.playingbyear.com/resources/Lyrics.aspx?song=Going+to+Georgia+"whiskey+when+I'm+dry"&hl=en&ie=UTF
-8)  - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:www.playingbyear.com/resources/Lyrics.aspx?song=Going+to+Georgia)
_adamjhu's Yahoo!  Profile_ (http://profiles.yahoo.com/adamjhu)
... Favorite Quote. "Give me  beefsteak when I'm hungry, whiskey when I'm
dry, womens
when I'm lonely, and heaven when I die. --James "Son"  Thomas". ...
profiles.yahoo.com/adamjhu - 17k - _Cached_
(http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:7ahhCM5tbSoJ:profiles.yahoo.com/adamjhu+"whiskey+when+I'm+dry"&hl=en&ie=UT
F-8)  - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:profiles.yahoo.com/adamjhu)
COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC:
WHERE DID BARRY POPIK EAT?--El Cantinero. It's the best Mexican I've  ever
had in New York City...in Greenwich Village...on University Place...between
11th and 12th Streets. Definitely the best of that lot.
WHERE DID BARRY POPIK _NOT_ EAT?--Au Bon Pain. I'd like to try  "hot
chocolate" as I've tested NYC places for "French onion soup." Au Bon Pain  has a new
product called "Choco Bon Loco." (I guess that's French.) I was  going to try
it. "It's not like hot chocolate," a worker told me. It's four  dollars, and
they fill up half the cup only, all with undrinkable sludge.  Thank goodness he
wasn't on commission and was honest!
WHAT WAS ON THE COVER OF SUNDAY'S NEW YORK POST?--The Iragi  elections,
perhaps? No way. The most important story in the world, according to  the New York
Post, is that Mike Piazza is marrying a woman. It's now made  the front page
twice in about a week. Is it any wonder that I have to beg the  entire world
for thirteen years to honor the black stablehands who called New  York "the Big
Apple"? Well, it's off to parking tickets on Monday, and they  usually shut
down the place over the weekend, so Mondays we have no  heat...