do + noun, whatebaa, shokupan

Sun Jul 3 08:28:11 UTC 2005

My partner reported today a customer who said something like "I'll just do a
coffee". His employee said that's a very popular construction right now.

My partner also reported to me that "whatever" as in "I'm not interested in
your opinion" is pronounced "whatebaa".

Finally, I spotted a hand-written sign announcing "shokupan" at the Ballard
Market in Seattle. The product is from Pan Amore, a local bakery that does
Japanese-style bread. Shokupan (<shoku, eat (or possibly meal) + pan
bread/roll< Port. p~ao "bread") is the Japanese word for "bread" in English.
Japanese shokupan has a distintive smell, is very fluffy and generally
sliced very thick.

Benjamin Barrett
Baking the World a Better Place
www.hiroki.us