Cackalacka, Cackalacky, and variants [long]

Larry Scroggs Larry at SCROGGS.COM
Thu Jul 7 13:09:22 UTC 2005

>Date:    Wed, 6 Jul 2005 21:21:36 -0400
>From:    Bonnie Taylor-Blake <taylor-blake at NC.RR.COM>
>Subject: Cackalacka, Cackalacky, and variants [long]

>For the past two or three years, there's been some interest at the
>University of North Carolina in tracking down the origin and early uses of
>"Cackalacky" and "Cackalacka," slang terms of somewhat indeterminate age
for
>"Carolina."

When I travel by car, I monitor channel 19 on my CB radio. This is the
channel most commonly used by long- haul truckers. North and South
Cackalacka are commonly used by the truckers in lieu of North and South
Carolina. I've been hearing this since at least the late eighties.

Larry Scroggs
Larry at Scroggs.com