on the bug

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Fri Jul 8 03:26:46 UTC 2005

I surely don't recognize this expression, and I can't find it anywhere else
right away.

This is a pretty well-known novel and it has been translated, so one
possibility is to check a translated edition (in French or German or
whatever) and see how somebody else translated that "bug". Also one might
ask a literature professor who has taught this work: maybe the students
asked the same question and it was answered somehow.

 From the context, the "ticket on the bug" is probably some amusement (or
ticket thereto) which is for sale. Why was the subject of the "bug"
introduced at all? Either it relates to the subject at hand (Willie's fight
etc.) or it is introduced to explain why Willie and Highboy went to the
place. In the first case it could be a euphemism for illicit liquor (many
southern jurisdictions were still 'dry' at the time, I believe) or possibly
some other intoxicant. In the second case it could also be a lottery ticket
or equivalent, or perhaps a ticket for some sort of show. Just a few WAGs.
Offhand I would not expect it to refer to prostitution or strip-tease or
taxi-dancing because of the "but" following the "bug".

BTW: What do y'all make of "bad-blood" here? ["Bad blood" means a few
different things, last I knew.]

-- Doug Wilson