-nym for Words the Same in Sing. and Pl.?

Fri Jul 8 10:40:26 UTC 2005

In a message dated 7/7/05 6:44:45 PM, pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU writes:

> --On Thursday, July 07, 2005 5:23 PM -0400 "Baker, John" <JMB at STRADLEY.COM>
> wrote:
>
> >         There's no -nym, but what about plurale tantum?  According to
> > that surprisingly resourceful and frequently denounced source,
> > Wikipedia, "A plurale tantum (plural pluralia tantum) is a noun that
> > appears only in the plural and does not have a singular. Many languages
> > have pluralia tantum, for example the English word "scissors" is such."
> >
> >         How disappointing to realize that "plurale tantum" is not itself
> > a plurale tantum.
>
> It's perhaps equally disappointing that the words cited in the original
> query, "deer" and "aircraft", are also not examples of a plurale tantum,
> since they appear in both singular and plural--they just happen to have the
> same form for both.
>
> Peter Mc.

Also, most (all?) English pluralia tantums (or, if one must, pluralia tantum)
have an optional form preceded by the phrase "pair of."

It seems to me that the reason we have no "nym" word for zero-plurals such as
DEER is that they don't fit the pattern, e.g., synonym are words that mean
the same thing, eronyms are names that are derived from work, etc. Zero plurals
are grammatical categories, not semantic ones.