Cackalacka, Cackalacky, and variants [long]

Peter A. McGraw pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU
Fri Jul 8 17:51:45 UTC 2005

Yeah--"Kakerlake" was what first came to mind the first time I saw that
subject line, and when I read the message I thought, "What an odd nickname
to give one's state!"

Only on reading Gerald's message did the second thought occur to me that
"Cackalacka" is probably pronounced with [ae] in the stressed syllables
rather than [a], which makes it sound considerably less like the German.
So I wonder if the resemblance could be purely coincidental after all.

Peter Mc.

--On Friday, July 08, 2005 12:04 PM -0500 "Cohen, Gerald Leonard"