query for Fred (or anyone else) on movie line

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Jul 9 02:27:23 UTC 2005

Dave Wilton writes:
> [...]

Aha!  So this ("Speak well" vs. "Be kind") does seem quite different
from the "Tea and Sympathy" line, although I'd guess it's still
modeled on it.  It's clear that the borrowing in my novel (_Lost in
the Forest_, by Sue Miller) is a direct allusion to the "Tea and
Sympathy" line (it's spoken by a sardonic older man to a young girl
as "And when you speak of me, be kind") and not to that in "Bull
Durham", although the latter is, I would maintain, the best baseball
movie ever made.  Unfortunately, it's been all downhill for Kevin
Costner since, in the negative sense of that enantionymic dictum...
(Wonder if he's the one responsible for ad-libbing the line into the
screenplay.)