Shining On

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Sun Jul 10 03:37:25 UTC 2005

Some here may remember a post in which I told of failing to note the
information regarding a piece that I heard on my car radio, presumably
entitled, "Don't Shine Me On," because my mind was otherwise occupied
with inventing the term "pimpmobile" and imparting it to my ace boon,
who was riding in the death seat. Thanks to Google, I can now impart to
all the formerly-lacking information.

The name of the piece *is* _Don't Shine Me On_. It was recorded in 1963
on the Foremost label by an otherwise unknown group called Frankie &
The Dell Stars." It's a recitation in which Frankie attempts to talk
three chicks, presumably the Dell Tones, into taking a ride with him.
The chicks discuss his proposition and one asks, "Should we shine him
on?" The other two reply, "Yes. Let's shine him on." Hearing this,
Frankie exclaims, "Don't shine me on!" and proceeds to list places in
the local L.A. area that he would be happy to drive them to. The end.

As currently used, "don't shine me on" means "don't scam/scan me, don't
bullshit me,' etc. The original meaning is clearly, "Don't brush me
off."

-Wilson Gray