Leslie Savan on Slam Dunk? Why?; Environmentalist/Conservationist

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Jul 10 05:28:22 UTC 2005

LESLIE SAVAN ON "SLAM DUNK"
Filling in for William Safire this week is Gerald Cohen--no, actually it's
Leslie Savan. Savan's writes about "slam dunk," from that writer's forthcoming
book.
So you think, hey, it's The New York Times, it's the great Leslie Savan,
surely the "slam dunk" information is better than you'll find in, oh, the ADS-L
archives. Maybe she'll beat Ben Zimmer's "slam dunk." No, you wouldn't want to
 read about Ben Zimmer's "slam dunk," not when you've got Leslie Savan!
LESLIE SAVAN--1,090 Google hits, 36 Google Groups hits
BARRY POPIK--5,370 Google hits, 80 Google Groups hits
Yeah, Leslie Savan's forthcoming "slam dunk" book is by a powerful NYC
publisher (Knopf/Random House); I'm sure it will be a treasured "slam dunk"
classic. Ugh.  Maybe after I win Manhattan Borough President and honor the
African-American stablehand who called us "the Big Apple," I should buy control  of
The New York Times?
ENVIRONMENTALIST/CONSERVATIONIST
The Sierra Club endorses candidates, most all of them Democrats. I was sent
a survey of about forty incredibly complicated questions. Some of them don't
even apply for the position I'm running for. Others are a bit silly. (Does my
campaign literature use soy-based ink?)
I'd like to research the word "environmentalist"--an old NYC  Republican
named Teddy Roosevelt was one, or was that "conservationist"?--but I  can't find
anything from Teddy's time in office.
(OED)

environmentalist, n. (and a.)
A. n. One who believes in or promotes the  principles or precepts of
environmentalism; also, one who is concerned with the  preservation of the environment
(from pollution,  etc.).

1916 Amer. Jrnl. Sociol.  XXI. 628 The environmentalist will often agree with
the  anti-environmentalist that certain changes in a culture may be due..to
certain  cultural features..but, objects the environmentalist, these cultural
features  were, in their turn, produced by the physical environment. 1925 F.
THOMAS Environmental Basis of Society xi. 288 The environmentalist holds, for
example, that the snow house of  the Eskimo is determined by the surrounding
Arctic environment. 1936 Nature 26 Sept. 530/1 Whether  our outlook be mainly
that of the eugenist or that of the environmentalist, we  must not ‘cease from
mental fight’ until we have..‘built Jerusalem in England's  green and pleasant
land’. 1940 _R. S. WOODWORTH_
(http://dictionary.oed.com/help/bib/oed2-w3.html#r-s-woodworth)  Psychol. (ed. 12) vii. 225 The age-long dispute between the
hereditarians and the  environmentalists. 1941 _J. S.  HUXLEY_
(http://dictionary.oed.com/help/bib/oed2-h4.html#j-s-huxley)  Uniqueness of Man ii. 39
Sentimental environmentalists, who adhered to the crudest form of  Lamarckism. 1959
Archit.  Rev. CXXV. 304/2 The people are the  Environmentalists... Their means
of expression are the relationships between  buildings and between spaces, and
the element in which they work is time. 1970 New  Yorker 9 May 33/2 Dr.
Robert N. Rickles, a  thirty-four-year-old chemist and an environmentalist,..took
the helm of the  city's Department of Air Resources last month. 1970 Nature 15
Aug. 655/2 The project  to build a supersonic transport has run into renewed
complaints from the  environmentalists.
(OED)
conservationist
 A proponent or advocate of conservation, esp.  one who advocates the
conservation of natural resources and amenities. Also  attrib. or as adj.

1870 _J. S.  MILL_ (http://dictionary.oed.com/help/bib/oed2-m3.html#j-s-mill)
 Lett.  (1910) II. 251 Now, at the expense of what pre-existing energy  has
this force been generated? The conservationists are obliged to say, out of
potential energy. 1922 Encycl.  Brit. XXX. 102/2 The most ardent of the
conservationists failed to recognize the urgent importance of conserving the  salmon
and halibut fisheries. 1962 Times (Standard Bank Suppl.) 12 Oct. p. vii/1 The
conservationist who put the conservation of veld life before  human welfare had
no hope of success. 1969 Guardian 12 Aug. 2/5 The  conservationists are
afraid that the noise of the aircraft..will seriously  affect both the peace and
the ecology of the park. 1969 _N. W.  PIRIE_
(http://dictionary.oed.com/help/bib/oed2-p2.html#n-w-pirie)  Food Resources ii. 69  The conservationists fear
that many at present wild species will  become extinct. 1970 Nature 18 July 225/2
 ‘Conservationist’ opposition to the construction of nuclear power  plants
is slowing the building programme.
-----------------------------

OT: CITE/SITE OF THE DAY
My site was mentioned on the popular NYC real estate blog Curbed.com on
Friday, about McGuirk's Suicide Hall. The title of this piece on Saturday was
kind of interesting:
_http://thinkprogress.org/2005/07/09/bush-demonstrates-misunderstanding-of-ter
rorist-threat/_
(http://thinkprogress.org/2005/07/09/bush-demonstrates-misunderstanding-of-terrorist-threat/)
    1.  Wow! Stewed Cankersore, you amaze me! I think I have a federal
indictment  around here someplace… aha! Yes! There it is! A Federal indictment
against … a  Ham Sandwich! APB! APB! Be on the look out for a Ham Sandwich! The
President  is hungry and Laura don’t cook.
    2.  Comment by GoD — July 9, 2005 @ _7:45 pm_
(http://thinkprogress.org/2005/07/09/bush-demonstrates-misunderstanding-of-terrorist-threat/#comment-55422
)
    3.  Since Stewed is a bit thick, I will help him out…
_http://www.barrypopik.com/ article/  84/  indict-a-ham-sandwich_
(http://www.barrypopik.com/article/84/indict-a-ham-sandwich)
Comment by GoD — July 9, 2005 @ _7:50 pm_
(http://thinkprogress.org/2005/07/09/bush-demonstrates-misunderstanding-of-terrorist-threat/#comment-55428)