antedating of "clock wise" (1882)

Mon Jul 11 11:47:04 UTC 2005

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 04:04:40 -0700, Jonathan Lighter
<wuxxmupp2000 at YAHOO.COM> wrote:

>"Rotating from the left to the right" would have been clear enough, I
>think.  Was "clock-wise" a 19th C. SOTA ?

"Right-handed" was also available (as in Sam's citation below), but OED
only dates the rotational sense to 1825. Besides "deasil", there was also
"with the sun" (1769), "sunways" (1774), and the earlier Scottish
expression "sungates" (1597).

The good ol' Maven discusses deasil/widdershins here:

http://www.randomhouse.com/wotd/index.pperl?date=19970226

The Maven notes that the path of the sun is left-to-right *when facing
south*. As Larry suggests, this is the default orientation (austration?)
for those in the Northern Hemisphere because the sun is in the south at
midday (cf. "meridian", from Latin "meridianum", meaning either 'midday'
or 'south').

--Ben Zimmer