"Murphy's Law" (1955)

Wilson Gray wilson.gray at RCN.COM
Mon Jul 11 19:11:15 UTC 2005

"Murphy's Law was first formulated by Samuel Beckett in his novel
named, of course, _Murphy_, which was first published in 1938.

"As I'm sure you are aware, there is no way that I would be able to
know whether Beckett's book is, in fact, the origin of Murphy's Law.
Nevertheless, Beckett's reference to "If anything can go wrong, it
will" is earlier than any other that you cite as a possible origin. So,
I thought that you might appreciate being placed on notice."

-from a letter by James V. Stewart of St. Petersburg, FL, quoted in The
Official Rules and Explanations, compiled by Paul Dickson and published
by the Federal Street Press, a division of Merriam-Webster, Inc.
Springfield, MA: 1999

-Wilson Gray