antedating of "clock wise" (1882)

Mon Jul 11 19:22:38 UTC 2005

Sugars are the chemicals most commonly brought up, when discussing how
chemicals may rotate polarized light.

Jean-Baptiste Biot did the early work on this in the 1830s.  From a
physics text online:

Quote starts *********************

Optically active organic molecules have a spiral structure like a
right-handed or
left-handed screw. It is this spiral nature of the molecule, which
rotates the plane of
polarization of light passing through it. Right-handed molecules will
rotate the plane of
polarization clockwise as viewed in the direction of the beam, while
left-handed
molecules rotate the plane in a counterclockwise direction. If
right-handed and lefthanded
species of a given molecule occurred with equal abundance, then there
would be
no net effect on the polarization of light passing through. However,
naturally occurring
biological molecules of a given species are always either purely
right-handed or purely
left-handed. Probably at the time of origin of life, organic molecules
corresponding to
both right and left-handed forms were produced. Laboratory synthesis
always produces
both types. However, in the first living systems on earth, left or
right-handed activity
could have been adopted purely as a matter of chance and, once a
particular asymmetry
was established, it maintained itself. This conjecture implies that
optical activity is
probably a feature of life on any planet and also that the chances
should be equal for
finding a given terrestrial organic molecule or its mirror image in
extraterrestrial life
forms, if any exist.
Optically active organic compounds are classified as d (dextro-) when
righthanded
and l (lev-) when left-handed. For instance, the most common sugar is
dextrose
or d-glucose (C6H12O6) which is right-handed. There is also l-glucose
(levulose), called
invert sugar of fructose (fruit sugar). Sucrose (C12H22O11), cane sugar,
is right-handed.

As the above says, dextro- molecules rotate linearly polarized light to
the right, and
levo- molecules rotate to the left.  The left/right sense is as follows:
when looking in
the direction of propagation of light, a vertically polarized ray will
rotate CW (right) in
dextro- solutions, and CCW (left) in levo- solutions.  OED has 1853
cites for both of these
prefixes.