LGBT (1991, 1992); London's "Daily Express" & Big Apple Whores (6-25-05)

Mon Jul 11 20:44:50 UTC 2005

On Jun 28, 2005, at 11:40 AM, Lary Horn wrote:

>> On Jun 28, 2005, at 10:40 AM, Barry Popik wrote:
>>
>>> LGBT
>>> Can anyone beat Grant Barrett's 1991 for LGBT or LGBTQ? Google
>>> Groups seems to take it back to 1992 at best...Why isn't it the
>>> more alphabetically ordered BGLT? Would that be bacon, guava,
>>> lettuce, tomato?
>>
>> there are three questions here: the ordering of initials, in
>> particular whether it's GL or LG; the inclusion of B (always after B
>>

> that should read G

yes, of course.

>> and L, i believe); the inclusion of T (always after B, i believe).
>> (Q is an even later addition.)
>
> I agree that the ordering is partly determined on chronological
> grounds.  Bisexuals were afterthoughts historically,
> Transsexual/Transgendered people a still later thought, and so on.  I
> can't think of any initialisms that are ordered alphabetically, if
> Barry was--contrary to my suspicion--asking non-ironically.  I think,
> as Arnold suggests, that it wouldn't be that hard to find GL- as well
> as LG- ordering.  Another consideration is phonology, when acronyms
> are involved, as in GLAD, the Gay & Lesbian Awareness Days at Yale
> (the inaugural was in '82).  I see elsewhere similar events are
> called, or have mutated into, B-GLAD, where the BGL ordering is
> clearly motivated on acronymic rather than alphabetic grounds.
>
> Larry
>
>> GL and LG (as in NOGLSTP, the National Organization of Gay and
>> Lesbian Scientists and Technical Professionals) certainly go back
>> before 1992.  So do GLB and LGB (as in the Ohio State AGLBFS,  the
>> Association of Gay, Lesbian, and Bisexual Faculty and Staff).  i'm
>> not sure when the ordering of L before G, so as not to put gay men in
>> the position of greatest prominence, started.  the addition of T
>> might actually be since 1992.
>>
>> campus diversity offices and groups would be a good place to look.
>> i'll forward this query to a friend who runs an LGBT office, in the
>> hope that she knows where some of the history might be found.

my informant was off at a conference in beijing, but has now return.
first, her comment:

     From:   Gwendolyn Dean (gd35 at cornell.edu)
     Subject:     Re: LGBT (1991, 1992); London's  "Daily Express" &
Big Apple Whores (6-25-05)
     Date:     July 5, 2005 8:55:05 AM PDT
     To:       zwicky at csli.stanford.edu

This is an interesting question.  IIRC, we were using LGB, in that
order,
in 1990 or so in Atlanta.  I will check with some of the other
directors to
see if they have more information.
-----

and now some responses (reproduced with permission):