"Murphy's Law" (1955)

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Jul 12 12:53:06 UTC 2005

Wilson, can you tell me more about Paul Dickson and his oeuvre, and explain
the joke?

I have encountered Dickson only briefly, in consulting his 1992 Dickson's
Word Treasury: A Connoisseur's Collection of Old and New, Weird and
Wonderful, Useful and Outlandish Words.  There he reproduces an incorrect
dating from an 1864 biography of Benjamin Franklin -- which was noted as
incorrect in a 1940 article and is given correctly in more recent
biographies and the definitive "Papers of BF."  When I saw the comments
here on the misattribution to Beckett, I wondered about Dickson's general
reliability.

Joel