another weirdly generalized "ironically"

Wed Jul 13 21:39:34 UTC 2005

Larry has caught me out:

        [mm:]
>Trying to think of what I would use in such circumstances, I came up with
>several non-adverbial parentheticals --
>
>         "... and wouldn't you know it, it rained."
>         "... naturally ..."
>         "... of course ..."
>
>  -- all of which , or at least the last two, are used ironically here.

        [lh:]
Agreed on all counts--except to ask whether you were using
"non-adverbial" (to refer e.g. to "naturally") ironically  ;-)
<<<

No, just plain old-fashioned "oops!" I started out with some different set
and order, and didn't get the intro consistent with the list that was there
when I hit SEND.

-- Mark
   (by hand)