ACD (Adjournments in Contemplation of Dismissal); Politarazzi & Paddy Wagon

bapopik at AOL.COM bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Jul 14 02:22:33 UTC 2005

POLITARAZZI & PADDY WAGON
"Politarazzi" is the name of a new political blog. It sounds awkward and I hope the name doesn't become generic.
The current Manhattan Borough President, fresh from the somewhat bogus and insanely overblown Adobe Photoshop mess, used the words "paddy wagon," and now that's gotten her into trouble. She probably took the paddy wagon to attend a niggardly picnic.
http://politicker.observer.com/

Newsday's new politics blog is now up and running, with a nice clean look and a name I'm not so sure about: Politarazzi.
Paddy Wagon
If Virginia won't defend herself on the use of the phrase "paddy wagon," The Politicker will.

A survey of the Observer's Irish Caucus, led by noted expert on Irish stuff Terry Golway, found nobody particularly offended by the phrase. Sources also conflict on whether said wagon is meant to be full of Irish criminals, or driven by Irish cops.
ACD (ADJOURNMENTS IN CONTEMPLATION OF DISMISSAL)
A.C.D. is not in the O.E.D.
July 13-19, 2005, New York Press, pg. 7:
_ACD'S--BACK IN BLACK_
We were pleased that the State Court of Appeals last week unanimously (7-0) ruled against Manhattan D.A. Robert Morgenthau regarding the practice of unsealing dismissed cases in the prosecution of political activists who accepted ACDs (Adjournments in Contemplation of Dismissal) in court.
(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
Lower Courts Are Settling 80% of City Felony Cases; Lower Courts Are Reducing or Dismissing Outright 80% of Felony Cases in the City
By MARCIA CHAMBERS. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Feb 11, 1975. p. 81 (2 pages)
First page:
Criminal Court judges also have given conditional or unconditional discharges on a guilty plea, or have granted an "A.C.D."--an adjournment in contemplation of dismissal.
Novice City Prosecutors Get Speedy On-the-Job Training; Novice City Prosecutors Get Trial Training Fast
By JOSEPH P. FRIED. New York Times (1857-Current file). New York, N.Y.: Oct 11, 1984. p. B1 (2 pages) :
"Your Honor, the offer as to defendant Mazzola is a B plus a C.D., and as to defendant Nicolois an A.C.D," Miss Harrison said firmly.

Everyone involved understood that the Brooklyn District Attorney's office was willing to settle Mr. Mazzola's case without a trial if he pleaded guilty to a lesser, Class B, misdemeanor in return for a conditional discharge. Under this deal, the maximum 90-day sentence would be waived, provided the defendant
Continued on Page B6
stayed out of further trouble for a year.

In Mr. Nicolois's case, the office would accept an adjournment in contemplation of dismissal: The charge would be dropped if he did not get into trouble with the law for six months.
OT. MISC.
I got a call from my old friend at work, David Finnegan. He saw my name in the newspaper. "I know you're not a Republican," he said. "Don't go Republican on me!"
So I was shuttling back and forth today between the bank, the Board of Elections, the Campaign Finance Board, and the Harlem Republican Club. And I thought about this morning's Scott Stringer article. There really are differences between us; he's a longtime hack. And then I thought about dinner, and I took the 2 train to 23rd Street for a fish dinner at Bongo, at Ninth and 24th. And I was walking down 23rd Street, and there was a Scott Stringer poster, illegally on city property. And there was Scott Stringer!
What do I do? Congratulate him on his, ah, union endorsements? I said hello, I'm Barry Popik--I'm running as a Republican for the same office, we shook hands, and he said he'd meet me in November.
So then I ate dinner, read the piece about "ACD," thought about an "ACD" post, and thought that reminded me of "ACDC." I then walked from 23rd street to NYU, and passed someone wearing an ACDC shirt.
This was all too freaky, so, for the rest of my walk, I thought about Jennifer Lopez naked and finding a million dollars on the street.