"little joe from kokomo" and "african billiards"

Thu Jul 14 14:36:05 UTC 2005

One of the many little things I have learned while going
through newspapers of the last hundred and fifty years is
how creative man can be in coming up with ways to insult.

I don't mean in the least to imply that race relations in this
country are perfect, but periodicals of even fifty years ago
would print, with no sense of irony or shame at all, stuff that
would get them into serious trouble today.