Eggcorns noted in today's NYT

Christine Waigl cwaigl at FREE.FR
Thu Jul 14 15:13:10 UTC 2005

Arnold M. Zwicky wrote:

>On Jul 13, 2005, at 8:17 PM, Wilson Gray wrote:
>
>>In today's Times review of the book, The Essence of Style, by Joan
>>DeJean, the reviewer, William Grimes, notes the author's use of
>>"throws
>>of passion" and what is probably the zillionth instance of "to the
>>manor born."
>

>added, with credit to wilson, as a comment on the eggcorn database
>entry for throes >> throws.
>
>http://eggcorns.lascribe.net/english/250/throws/

This time you were quicker -- I was about to do it.

If by any chance anyone gets their hands on that book, I'd be grateful for
actual citations.
Googling is so much quicker than assembling occurrences from published
literature.

Chris Waigl
who is proud to have found "with baited breath" in _Harry Potter and the
Prisoner of Azkaban_